Monday, August 30, 2010

How I Accidentally Completed My Planned Miles

In my previous post, I said that on Saturday I either wanted to run at night, or walk twice the amount of miles. I completed the latter, accidentally.

A friend of mine called, asking for help while she completed a scavenger hunt for a free weekend pass to the New York Comic Con this year. Of course I decided to help, and I became the Oracle to her Batman as the clues for different locations showed up. Then Clue 24 appeared.

The location for Clue 24 was also in Queens, and I knew the where it was. Since I had already changed, I laced up my sneakers and head out. (I ended up not looking hard enough where the pass was hidden - I was right. there.) I ended up covering at the very least 5.5 miles, roundtrip. I was fun to explore a new area, and I got both Panera Bread plus Iced Skinny Vanilla Latte on the way back. AND my friend found a pass. So, it was a good day.

This morning I was supposed to cover 2.5 miles. I ended up only doing 1.25, because my shins where absolutely killing me. I don't know what happened. I came back and iced them while watching the West Wing. Although I watched my favorite episode last night - "Noël" the episode that Bradley Whitford won the Emmy for, which deals with Josh's PTSD.

I begin classes today. I have two of the three today - an education course and an editor course (for the school newspaper). I've never taken courses of this nature before, so I'm quite excited and nervous. The last course (that I have on Fridays) is going to be fabulous. It's with a professor I've had two times before, in similar course. The first was on Rogers & Hammerstein, the second Stephen Sondheim (could've taught the entire class -- and did for 30 minutes for Sweeney Todd), and this is on Gershwin and Bernstein. I hope we look at Bernstein's Mass. I've seen it live at Carnegie Hall, and it's moving and epic. And Candide. Because I looooovvveee Candide. While the material itself may come easy to me, it still challenges me to write about the music. Though I think with I greatly improved writing about the melody and instrumentation itself, rather than overall moods, from my last course about symphonies and concertos.

I can't wait to get the syllabi. That's when I can truly begin to plan my last semester.

I even "did" my hair today - in that I let it air dry for the most part, blow dried it, then straightened. It's longer (and darker) than people remember.

0 comments:

Post a Comment