Friday, August 6, 2010

Recipe Post: Gluten-Free Meatloaf and Spinach & Feta Pasta

While the majority of the recipes will be vegetarian (but always gluten-free), I though it'd be helpful to include a non-vegetarian recipe:

First up is gluten-free meatloaf:

2lbs of ground meat (beef, turkey, any kind)
1.5 cups of either rice, potato flakes, or a combination (I used rice)
4 oz of BBQ sauce
2 eggs
ketchup

Mix meat, rice/flakes, BBQ sauce, and eggs all together. Put mixture in a loaf pan. I like to put a layer of BBQ sauce and ketchup on the top. Cook for 1.5-2 hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

pastedGraphic.pdf

Spinach & Feta Gluten-Free Pasta


Ingredients
  • 1 (8 ounce) package penne pasta
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 2 cups spinach leaves, packed
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes
  • 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions
  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente; drain.
  2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, and cook until golden brown. Mix in tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook 2 minutes more, until tomatoes are heated through and spinach is wilted. Reduce heat to medium, stir in pasta and feta cheese, and cook until heated through.
While the water was boiling, I chopped the onion and put it in a huge measuring cu
pastedGraphic.pdf
p with the chopped garlic (I estimated the size of the clove). After the water boiled, I put the pasta. While the pasta was cooking, I cooked the onions and the garlic. I wanted everything to be done at the same time. Amazingly I didn't have to wait for the pasta to finish while the skillet mixture was cooking!
I began to chop the tomato, going back and forth between stirring the pasta and stirring the onion and garlic. How I was able to do this, I don't know. It's quite a workout!
I put the tomatoes in the measuring cup, along with the mushrooms.
pastedGraphic_1.pdf
I put the tomato, mushroom, and spinach leaves in the skillet (which was JUST big enough) and drained the pasta. There was no way that I would be ab
pastedGraphic_2.pdf
le to get the pasta in the skillet, so I instead put in the mixture in the pot with the pasta, with the cheese/
And here's everthing all done! After I put the skillet mixture in the pot, the dip was done!. From left to right, it's the pasta, the dip and the meatloaf all the way in the corner!
I don't know how I manage to time everything perfectly, but it worked out!

pastedGraphic_3.pdf

I hope you all enjoyed these recipes. One more to come today!





0 comments:

Post a Comment