Saturday, August 21, 2010

Percy Sutton Harlem 5K Run, for the Children of Haiti

ACTUAL PHOTOS WILL COME! I just have to get the camera developed. Enjoy phone and computer photos.

Last night, I set two alarms on my phone. One for 6:00am, and another for 6:30. I got into bed around 10pm. I was so excited that it took me a while to fall asleep. And I of course woke up at 12:30 and 3:30. I woke up at 6, and grabbed two pieces of GF bread. The race wasn't until 8:30, but since I had no previous race experience, I just ate because I was hungry. It turned out alright in the end.

After eating, changing, and sitting on the computer, I left the apartment at 6:30 to begin my subway ride (and read Runner's World!), which was approximately an hour including a transfer. It was fun to see other runners on the C train, since we were all going to the same place. I got to the site (W135th & St. Nicholas Ave) and took some photos with the disposable camera I bought. I didn't want to bring my phone, lest it disappear. After walking around for 15 minutes or so, I put my bib and d-tag on, dropped my bag at baggage and went to sit on this grassy hill.

At 8:10, the asked for runners to get into corrals. I immediately went to the back. It was comfortable there. :)

At 8:20, they made announcements and sang National Anthems (US and I think Haiti? Something else was sung...), but I couldn't really hear. Slowly we inched up. At 8:30, we made our way and some time after the race began! I was incredible excited, and definitely started to well up.

The first part of mile 1 was flat, then there was a demon of a hill at 0.5 miles. From at least 0.5-1.5 miles was all uphill. And not a little hill. A big one. But I climbed it! I skipped the first water station, which I guess I should've stopped. After 1.5 miles, I took walking breaks. Must've been 3 in total? Of course, what comes up, must come down and I vowed to steady run down the hills.

It had to be around 2.5 miles that I was losing it. But the support from the volunteers was amazing. As I got closer to the 3 mile marker, I slowed to walk, because I thought I couldn't take it anymore. I heard some one say, "It's so close! What are you doing?!" And I thought..."What the hell am I doing!?!?" And began to run again. I crossed the 3 mile marker and felt my energy drop, until I saw the REAL finish. I saw two other runners ahead, and I just HAD to sprint. With every energy of my body, I ran forward, and heard the announcer say "Uh-oh what's she doing!" (In the light-hearted tone of "she's got something up her sleeve/look at her pace them!", not accusatory.) I past those people and crossed the finish. I felt like I was going to die, but I was so happy and proud of myself. I didn't pay too much attention to the clock, because I knew it was started when the leaders ran, and it wasn't very accurate for my time.

I kept walking, got a water and banana. I finished the cup and got another, and ate the banana as I walked along the route I just ran. I didn't have an post-its to write Operation Beautiful ( notes, so I just cheered people as they ran bye and yelled "YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL!" I hope my support helped them as much as the other's helped me.

I grabbed my bag, and began to walk around, talking pictures of signs, myself, and what not. I was going to leave, when I decided to see if the results were posted. They were only up to bib 1700 or so. I waited around for a while, but decided to go home. After eating a cube of cheese (and picking up a gluten-free recipe pamphlet!), and using up my camera, I hopped on the subway. I didn't take off my bib or d-tag, because I was so proud of myself. I continued to read the Sept. issue of Runner's World and beamed with happiness.

I definitely hope to run many, many, many, many more races in the future. :D


Place Overall (1844 runners)
Place Out of 873 Females
Place out of Female Age Group 20-24
Overall Time
Average Pace per mile

Age Graded Place, whatever that means
Age Graded, whatever that means

(I'm holding my shirt up with my hand, hence the slightly awkward pose)


My favorite photo.

And now I'm enjoying this bowl of self-serve frozen yogurt. A place nearby just started serving it! I got plain, strawberry, and chocolate, with some pineapple and strawberry bits. I began to eat before the picture, heh.


  1. Congrats on your first 5K! I did my first last weekend and LOVED it (minus the pain because I wasn't completely prepared.)

  2. @ashley

    Thank you very much! And congrats on yours! I can't wait to read your post on your first one!