Saturday, August 7, 2010

In Search For Okra

Since I have August off from work, my days have been very...lazy. I'm trying to stay in Astoria as much as possible, because I don't want to buy an unlimited metro card, or any metro card for that matter. My days have consisted of some form of exercise, going to the grocery store, and sitting on my ass.

Today I got up around 7:30am, which is the latest I get up. I turn on the TV and realize that it's not a weekday, so Live! with Regis and Kelly wouldn't be on. I turned it to NBC while I ate my traditional corn Chex + Chiobani yogurt breakfast. I read some blogs and ended up doing 20 minutes of yoga and some resistance training. I continued to watch TV and web-surf until a little after lunch.

While I could do my grocery shopping in Astoria, I had one main reason to leave: okra, or rather whole okra. See, I have just discovered the wonder that is okra fries, but they don't have them at my grocery store! I knew that they had them at Whole Foods (at least the one in Chelsea, when they aren't sold out), so I decided to wander around.

Whole Foods is a place I can endlessly wander. I'm not sure of the reason, other than its awesomeness.

After finding out that they didn't carry it at Columbus Circle (which is sad), I pick up some other things I regularly eat, and I decided to pick up one special treat: gluten-free cheesecake.

I love cheesecake. I remember my first time having cheesecake, back in 9th grade. It was a wonderful love affair. Sadly, it had to end, once I discovered my gluten-intolerance. I had seen this little container of cheesecake in one of the gluten-free sections and I waited until now to try it. I didn't want to be disappointed, and so I waited until I had an intense yearning for it (it must have been that one Friends episode, with the cheesecake Chandler and Rachel steal and eat).

Side note, Friends is my favorite show of all time. I can not remember a time where I couldn't quote Friends.

Back to the cheesecake:

(I should note that this was AFTER I ate the cheesecake, so there's plastic wrappers inside the container)

I picked up the "New York Style" and decided to spend some time eating it in Whole Foods. Let me tell you....it was so creamy, so rich, so amazing. Apparently you can order 7" and 9" cakes on the website -- but they don't have the "New York Style," unless that's just plain? Regardless, it was so delicious that I know that I'll have to refrain from buying it each time I go. I can always remind myself that while insanely delicious, it's not worth shelling out $4.29 each time I go to the store. However, if there's any special occasion coming up... :D

I know I'll have to go to Manhattan tomorrow, but hopefully I can refrain the rest of the week. I mean, I'd totally walk if there was an easy way! That's something I'll have to look up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment